Monday, March 23, 2009

I'm a little bit angry...

I am really sick of seeing these STUPID high-fructose corn syrup commercials! Some well-meaning woman/man/child tries to stop another from eating a food containing HFCS, but when the other person rebuts the argument, this naive person can't come up with a single bad thing to say about this sticky substance. Gee, let's all live in Wonderland and not think about the evils of this crap!

Arguements:
  • "It's fine in moderation!"- Well that may be, however it is in EVERYTHING from bread to cereal to applesauce. It is nearly impossible to "enjoy it in moderation!" Pick out five products from your pantry. I am willing to bet that at least three of those products contain HFCS.
  • "HFCS is a way to lower food costs!"- I'd rather pay the 1 cent difference and get something that is sweetened with actual sugar, not some "franken-fructose."
  • HFCS is natural!- Sure, if you consider genetically-modified enzymes and chemicals "natural."
  • "HFCS doesn't make you fat!"- Really? Then why are there hundreds of studies that prove otherwise? Fructose does not release or stimulate insulin. Insulin is a naturally occurring hormone that helps to metabolize our foods by pushing carbohydrates into our muscle cells to be used as energy, and allows carbohydrates to be stores in our liver for later use. It also stimulates production of another hormone, leptin, which helps to regulate our storage of body fat and increases our metabolism when needed. These two hormones keep our body fat regulated and tells us, for all intent purposes, when we are satisfied and sends the message to our brain to stop eating.
I'm thinking that Americans need to stop going blindly on what they see on tv and start doing some research into what they put into their mouths! DOWN WITH HFCS!

5 comments:

keda said...

well said!

HotCake said...

Amen! Keep blogging the good fight!

Shise, cunning Eskimo ninja. said...

That's exactly how I feel! Don't break down and buy into that propaganda!

Millie said...

I do not eat anything with HFCS. I haven't touched it for 5 years and I feel great. I like your blog. I plan to put it on my blog for others to click on for info & recipes. My blog is:

http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

My vegan recipes are made with a Latin flavor. I hope you can check it out.

bazu said...

I frigging hate those ads too. Grrr